The Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is pleased to announce an internship opportunity in environmental education. This internship may be available for college credit based on your college’s requirements and approval.
Environmental Education Internship
Otsego County Conservation Association, 7207 State Highway 80, Cooperstown, NY 13326 (Mohican Farm, corner of Allen Lake Road)
Programs, Environmental Education & Outreach
10-15 hours per week, May through mid-August. Effectively full time for two weeks in July.
Some weekend and evening work required.
Biology, Environmental Science, Education, Environmental Education or other applicable fields.
Number of Openings:
1 per summer
Working under the supervision of the Program Director, the Environmental Education Intern will assist in a broad range of tasks supporting OCCA in its mission of protecting, preserving and enhancing the natural environment, with a specific emphasis on public education.
- Assist with and/or lead trail maintenance and clean-up activities with volunteer youth and adults in Basswood Pond State Forest.
- Assist with and/or lead groups of volunteers in invasive species removal activities, highway cleanups, Butternut Creek Watershed Study, and other activities.
- Serve as staff liaison to hike leaders for one or more nature walks. Attend hikes, provide short introduction to OCCA and leader, hand out forms, newsletters, etc., take pictures, write short summary for newsletter.
- Lead at least one nature walk for the public during the season.
- Assist in delivery of programs as part of the Watershed Ecology Field School, and attend training.
- Develop an outline for a 30-40 minute program for elementary school students on an environmental topic, which can include multi-media and should have a hands-on component.
- Represent OCCA at events such as Otsego Lakes Festival and other public programs/venues.
- Other tasks and duties to support OCCA at the discretion of the OCCA staff.
- Provide a short written report (~750 words) about experience as OCCA intern at conclusion of summer
Applicant must have a valid New York State driver’s license, excellent verbal and written skills, and experience in handling canoes and leading groups in outdoor activities. Ability to work unsupervised. Reliable form of transportation required.
Offline Application Procedure: Send resume and cover letter to Jeff O’Handley, Program Director, email@example.com or mail to Jeff O’Handley, OCCA, PO Box 931, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
Online Application Procedure: Complete the form below, upload files for cover letter and resume and submit.