The Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is pleased to announce an internship opportunity in environmental education. This internship may be available for college credit based on your college’s requirements and approval.
Environmental Education Internship
Otsego County Conservation Association, 7207 State Highway 80, Cooperstown, NY 13326 (Mohican Farm, corner of Allen Lake Road)
Programs, Environmental Education & Outreach
Semester, Ongoing: Summer
Summer: 8-10 hours per week for 12 weeks
Some weekend and evening work required.
Biology, Environmental Science, Education, Environmental Education or other applicable fields.
Number of Openings:
1 per summer
Working under the supervision of the Program Director, the Environmental Education Intern will assist in a broad range of tasks supporting OCCA in its mission of protecting, preserving and enhancing the natural environment, with a specific emphasis on public education. Some weekend work is required.
- assist with and/or lead trail maintenance and clean-up activities with volunteer youth and adults in Basswood Pond State Forest
- assist with and/or lead groups of volunteers in invasive species removal activities
- assist with and/or supervise one or more highway clean ups
- serve as staff liaison to hike leaders for one or more nature walks. Attend hikes, provide short introduction to OCCA and leader, hand out forms and newsletters, take pictures at event and write short summary.
- represent OCCA at events such as Lakes Festival and other public programs/venues
- develop an outline for a 30-40 minute program for elementary school students on recycling
- other tasks and duties to support OCCA at the discretion of OCCA staff
- provide a short written report (~750 words) about experience as OCCA intern at conclusion of summer
Applicant must have a valid New York State driver’s license, excellent verbal and written skills, and experience in handling canoes and leading groups in outdoor activities. Reliable form of transportation required.
Stipend: Contingent upon funding.
Offline Application Procedure: Send resume and cover letter to Jeff O’Handley, Program Director, email@example.com or mail to Jeff O’Handley, OCCA, PO Box 931, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
Online Application Procedure: Complete the form below, upload files for cover letter and resume and submit.