The Otsego County Environmental Collaborative is a consortium of environmental professionals and organizations who work together to better the environment for all Otsego County residents.
The Otsego County Environmental Summit was the kick-off event to form the Environmental Collaborative. The Summit was sponsored by the Scriven Foundation and hosted by the Otsego County Conservation Association and the Otsego Land Trust. In a one-day summit, facilitated by Peter Forbes, founder of the Center for Whole Communities, participants were asked to share their mission statements and their vision for the environment in Otsego County. Participants were able to hone in on the strengths and weaknesses of the environmental community at hand and are developing conservation priorities for the group.
The Otsego County Environmental Working Group – a group of environmental organizations and professionals – apply their collective resources to address environmental concerns and challenges through collaboration, community and stakeholder engagement, advocacy, and information-sharing.
We have clean water, productive soils, healthy forests and wetlands that support a great diversity of life. Otsego County is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. The Otsego County Environmental Working Group will be an active participant in protecting our home to the benefit of all Otsego County residents.
The Otsego County Environmental Working Group is a group of environmental professionals and organizations who work collaboratively for responsible stewardship of this rare and valuable place. Healthy lands, rivers and lakes are essential to healthy communities and economies. Together these provide opportunity and great hope for a bright future for families and individuals. We are determined to include more voices, meet more needs, and create a shared vision for a healthy future for every member of our community.
We are tremendously hopeful about that future and determined to work together in addressing the challenges of a changing climate, changing agriculture, aging and changing population, and economies that rarely favor small places. This is why we must all work together and work hard to responsibly use this beautiful place to maintain a healthy environment and a strong green economy.
The purpose of the Otsego County Environmental Collaborative is to:
- Create a forum for natural resource conservation discussions
- Improve intraorganizational communications of environmental issues
- Improve public awareness of natural resource conservation issues and successes in Otsego County
- Create a forum to better coordinate programming and share services where appropriate
- Decrease duplication of efforts
- Jointly apply for funding for larger county-wide conservation efforts
- Set conservation priorities annually
- Butternut Valley Alliance
- Canadarago Lake Improvement Association
- Catskill Regional Invasive Species Partnership
- Center for Agricultural Development and Entrepreneurship
- Peter Forbes
- City of Oneonta Environmental Board
- Clark Foundation/Mohican Farm
- Cornell Cooperative Extension Schoharie and Otsego Counties
- Delaware-Otsego Audubon Society
- Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Otsego 2000
- Otsego County Board of Representatives
- Otsego County Conservation Association
- Otsego County Planning Department
- Otsego County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Otsego Lake Association
- Otsego Land Trust
- Scriven Foundation
- SUNY Oneonta Biological Field Station
- Upper Susquehanna Coalition
- The Wetland Trust