The Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is pleased to announce an internship opportunity in invasive species management/environmental education. This internship may be available for college credit based on your college’s requirements and approval.
Invasive Species/Education Internship
Otsego County Conservation Association, 7207 State Highway 80, Cooperstown, NY 13326 (Mohican Farm, corner of Allen Lake Road)
16-20 hours per week, mid-May through mid-August.
Some weekend and evening work required.
Biology, Environmental Science, Education, Environmental Education or other applicable fields.
Number of Openings:
1 per summer
Working under the supervision of the Program Director, the Invasive Species/ Education Intern will assist in a broad range of tasks supporting OCCA in its mission of protecting, preserving and enhancing the natural environment, with a specific emphasis on invasive species control and education projects.
- Assist and/or lead groups in carrying out water chestnut eradication/control work in Goodyear Lake, Silver Lake, and other water bodies, and European frog-bit removal in Silver Lake.
- Identify water bodies deemed ‘at risk’ of infestation with European frog-bit. Conduct surveys of ‘at risk’ water bodies and use GPS and iMapInvasives for documenting and reporting new infestations.
- Organize and train volunteers assisting with aquatic invasive species removal projects.
- Participate in control of terrestrial invasive species, including Japanese knotweed and Japanese angelica tree.
- Assist in development and implementation of public education programs, such as Invasive Species Teach-In, as well as outdoor/environmental education programs for school-age children
- Support OCCA in other areas as needed.
Applicant must have a college student with basic understanding of ecological principles and invasive species; strong communication skills; valid New York State driver’s license and access to a vehicle; experience handling canoes and/or kayaks; ability to work unsupervised.
Offline Application Procedure: Send resume and cover letter to Jeff O’Handley, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Jeff O’Handley, OCCA, PO Box 931, Cooperstown, NY 13326.
Online Application Procedure: Complete the form below, upload files for cover letter and resume and submit.