OCCA is looking to add an experienced, motivated Environmental Planner to our growing team. We work with a variety of communities to develop/update Comprehensive Plans, develop natural resource protection plans, and assist communities with long-range climate mitigation and adaptation plans. This individual will work collaboratively with our team to assist with a wide range of environmental projects while providing top-notch customer service to our municipal clients.
The following job duties are typical of the position, but are not all-encompassing:
- Conduct basic research and analytical tasks (e.g., collecting and analyzing U.S. Census Bureau Data or conducting literature reviews).
- Prepare maps and graphics using ArcGIS, Canva, or other appropriate software.
- Lead in writing a variety of planning documents (e.g. Comprehensive Plans, Agricultural and Farmland Protection Plans, Watershed protection plans, etc.)
- Attend public meetings, facilitate focus groups, and conduct stakeholder meetings as necessary
- Willingness to attending meetings in the evening.
- Monitor state- and federal-level developments in environmental policy and develop policy briefs as necessary
- Participate in regional environmental subcommittees as deemed necessary such as the Choose Clean Water Coalition, the Otsego County Energy Taskforce, and the Otsego County Agricultural and Farmland Protection Plan Implementation Committee
- Identify areas for growth for the organization
- Be willing to develop and foster positive relationships with coworkers and be open to collaboration across organizational departments
- Be willing to suggest new ideas and strategies to improve efficiency and the ability of OCCA to carry out its functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in community, regional, or urban planning, environmental science, political science, biology, or a related field from an accredited university and two years’ full-time experience in planning, environmental policy, or community development required. Masters preferred. AICP members and candidates encouraged to apply.
- Planning experience in Comprehensive Planning and Climate Resiliency Planning and SEQR required.
- Experience using ESRI ArcGIS is required. Experience with QGIS, Google Sketchup, and the Adobe Creative Suite encouraged.
- Excellent technical writing and computer skills are required.
- Familiarity with Citrix Podio, Monday or other project management software required.
- Must be capable of managing multiple projects with fast-paced deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, with a particular emphasis on Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience or willing to learn to use Adobe Creative Suite Programs like InDesign is preferred.
- An excellent work ethic and a willingness to self-educate is a must.
Salary ranges from $48,000 to $53,000+ plus benefits and will be commensurate with experience.
The position is based in Springfield, New York with some work from home opportunities
OCCA is a countywide environmental organization addressing a broad spectrum of basic environmental concerns. OCCA plays a key role in initiating and carrying out programs designed to improve or protect Otsego County’s air, land, and water. Wide support from county residents enhances our ability to accomplish our mission.
OCCA is dedicated to promoting the appreciation and sustainable use of Otsego County’s natural resources through research, education, advocacy, planning and resource management and practice.
All replies will be held in confidence. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and detailed resume including education, work history and experience, with an emphasis on the elements identified above to Executive Director Amy Wyant at email@example.com.