OCCA is looking to add a motivated Jr. Environmental Planner to our growing team. We
work with a variety of communities to develop/update Comprehensive Plans, develop
natural resource protection plans, and assist communities with long-range climate mitigation
and adaptation plans. This individual will work collaboratively with our team to assist with a
wide range of environmental projects while providing top-notch customer service to our
The following job duties are typical of the position, but are not all-encompassing:
• Conduct basic research and analytical tasks (e.g., collecting and analyzing
U.S. Census Bureau Data or conducting literature reviews).
• Prepare maps and graphics using ArcGIS, Canva, or other appropriate
• Assist in writing a variety of planning documents (e.g. Comprehensive Plans,
Agricultural and Farmland Protection Plans, Watershed protection plans, etc.)
• Attend public meetings, facilitate focus groups, and conduct stakeholder
meetings as necessary
• Willingness to attending meetings in the evening.
• Support local municipalities with technical assistance for the Climate Smart Communities program
• Participate in regional environmental subcommittees as deemed necessary
such as the Choose Clean Water Coalition, the Otsego County Energy
Taskforce, and/ or the Otsego County Agricultural and Farmland Protection
Plan Implementation Committee
• Be willing to develop and foster positive relationships with coworkers and be
open to collaboration across organizational departments
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in community, regional, or
urban planning, environmental science, political science, biology, or a related
field from an accredited university with a focus in planning, environmental
policy, or community development required.
• Planning familiarity in Comprehensive Planning and Climate Resiliency
Planning and SEQR required.
• Experience using ESRI ArcGIS is required. Experience with QGIS, Google
Sketchup, and the Adobe Creative Suite encouraged.
• Excellent technical writing and computer skills are required.
• Knowledge of current sustainably and community resiliency measures.
• Must be capable of working on multiple projects with fast-paced deadlines
while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, with a particular emphasis on Microsoft
Excel and PowerPoint.
• An excellent work ethic and a willingness to self-educate is a must.
Salary range $35,000-$40,000 per year- Full time position
Company Retirement Match
Paid Sick and Vacation time
The position is based in Springfield, New York with some work from home opportunities.
Candidate must be willing to travel for meetings and events.
OCCA is a regionwide environmental organization addressing a broad spectrum of basic
environmental concerns. OCCA plays a key role in initiating and carrying out programs
designed to improve or protect Otsego County’s air, land, and water. Support from
county residents enhances our ability to accomplish our mission.
OCCA is dedicated to promoting the appreciation and sustainable use of Otsego County’s
natural resources through research, education, advocacy, planning and resource
management and practice.
All replies will be held in confidence. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and detailed resume
including education, work history and experience, with an emphasis on the elements
identified above to Executive Director Amy Wyant at firstname.lastname@example.org.