OCCA is currently in search of a Curriculum Specialist to join our team for a 3 year grant funded part time position.
PT Environmental Curriculum Specialist
The Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is currently has two (2) positions open for Part Time K-12 Environmental Curriculum Specialists for our Chesapeake Bay Educational Ecosystem. This program builds capacity for environmental literacy and stewardship of the Chesapeake Bay watershed by building support at the district and school level for the creation and implementation of Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences (MWEEs) in schools across the New York portion of the watershed. MWEEs are student led investigations of local environmental issues that culminate in a stewardship action project, connecting students not only to environmental science but also to civic engagement.
Responsibilities and Duties:
OCCA is building curriculum for digital and in-person professional development for grade 5-12 science teachers. The program will include multiple sessions to train teachers, administrators and others in MWEE development and implementation; integration of MWEEs in school curriculum; aligning MWEEs with current learning standards in outreach, curriculum integration of MWEE’s (Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences) into current science curriculum and classrooms. In addition, Specialists will participate in developing and implementing training for MWEE “Envoys”. Envoys are teachers/administrators who will help recruit others into the program.
Curriculum specialists will be expected to:
- Build professional development curriculum for teachers in the NYS region of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
- Advise OCCA staff on best practices and curriculum integration methods
- Work with OCCA staff to develop outdoor, in-person educational experiences for teachers to use with their students
- Work with OCCA staff to plan and organize a multi-day training experience for teachers to learn about MWEEs
- Work with OCCA staff to develop a model MWEE, which will be used during training
Qualifications and Skills:
- Have a good working knowledge of current NYS science curriculum requirements
- Experience in curriculum building and large training event planning
- Good team communication skills
- Great problem-solving skills
- Focus in Environmental Science a must
- Have a genuine interest in building the environmental science understanding and capacity
- Previous experience with MWEEs is a plus
$30-$40 per hour depending on experience
To apply please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org