Overview: Founded in 1968, the Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in the Town of Springfield, New York. OCCA is dedicated to promoting the appreciation and sustainable use of Otsego County’s natural resources through research, education, advocacy, planning and resource management and practice. OCCA is seeking an energetic, motivated individual to serve as OCCA’s Assistant Planner.
Assistant Planner Job Description: The ideal candidate will assist OCCA’s Environmental Planner with the updating of the 2004 Town of Sherburne Comprehensive Plan. In August 2020, OCCA received a two-year contract to update the Town of Sherburne’s Comprehensive Plan. Comprehensive plans act as a blueprint for a municipality’s development over a 20-year planning horizon. With the guidance of OCCA’s Environmental Planner, the Assistant Planner will have the following job responsibilities:
- Utilize best planning practices to assist the Environmental Planner with the development of the Comprehensive Plan
- Coordinate meetings with Town officials, members of the public, commercial and nonprofit business owners, and other stakeholders identified by the Environmental Planner
- Gather and analyze demographic, economic, and environmental data to assist with the development of the Comprehensive Plan
- Assist the Environmental Planner with gathering and analyzing background research documents such as countywide comprehensive plans, economic development strategies, and agricultural and farmland protection plans
- Assist the Environmental Planner with the coordination of public outreach efforts through press releases, social media, and other mechanisms
- Other duties as specified by the Environmental Planner
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess a passion for the field of community planning and public engagement. There is no minimum experience requirement for this position. Candidates should:
- Have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree from an accredited university
- Have a basic understanding of New York State Town Law and the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act
- Be available for evening meetings on an as needed basis
- Be comfortable with public speaking in tense meetings
- Have familiarity with Microsoft Office, with an emphasis on Microsoft Excel -Have familiarity with the ArcGIS Suite or a willingness to learn ArcGIS
Work Requirements and Pay: The Assistant Planner will work for OCCA as a subcontractor for the Town of Sherburne Comprehensive Plan update, with the duration of said contract lasting two years. The candidate will be expected to work between 15-20 hours per week on an hourly basis. Work related to the Comprehensive Plan may be done remotely. Travel costs related to the Sherburne Comprehensive plan will be reimbursed at U.S. Internal Revenue Service rates. Pay for the position is $15/hour.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Environmental Planner Danny Lapin, AICP at email@example.com and Executive Director Amy Wyant at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Application deadline for this position is Friday October 30, 2020.